How to Apply for Post-Graduate Work Permit

Join Our Telegram Channel Join Our WhatsApp Channel

One of the ways the Canadian government plans to retain international students who studied and graduated from a Canadian institution is by offering them the opportunity to work in Canada and gain Canadian working experience. As a graduate in Canada, you are eligible for the post-graduate work permit that allows you to remain in Canada, work for any employer of your choice, and then gain needed work experience.

To be eligible, you must complete a minimum 1-year course program in an approved Canadian institute, have an eligible study permit prior to the time you apply for the work permit, and then you must apply within 180 days from the time you write your final papers or get your final marks.

Documents Required to Apply for A Post Graduate Work Permit

If you have not already passed the 180 days mark to apply, then you should ensure that you provide the following documents when you apply for PGWP;

  • A letter from your school that shows that you successfully complete your program and as a full-time student.
  • A transcript from your school.
  • Medical exam result.
  • And your card to pay for the fee.

Once you have ensured that all the documents are intact, and you meet all the requirements to apply for the graduate work permit. Then it’s time for you to apply. There are two ways you can go about this; you can apply either online or in-person

Steps to Apply For A Post-Graduate Work Permit Online

  • Get your Application Form Online from the IRCC official website
  • Fill the form properly, and attach your passport photo
  • Submit the filled application form along with other documents back to IRCC website
  • Pay the required fee for the application. The Post-Graduate Work Permit Fee Can cost up to $250 and if you will want to restore your status, you’d be required to pay $350.
  • When you apply online, you can also track your application status online via your online account.

Can I Get Canada Permanent Resident Permit After 2 Years Study In Canada?

The best way to get Canada Permanent resident status when you only studied a two years course is by applying for a job in Canada. This would help extend your stay in Canada, either by applying for a Post-Graduate Work Permit or applying for a visitor visa within Canada.


  • You need to also meet other requirements that allows you to become permanent resident in Canada. The requirements include:
  • Working experience of at least 2 years or more.
  • Have a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer
  • You should submit your application within two years of graduation
  • Show adequate proof of funds.
  • Proficient in English or French Language.

How Do I Settle In Canada After Studying?

To settle in Canada after you graduate, you have to become a permanent resident in Canada or at least look to work in Canada for a couple of years before you apply for a permanent residence. To apply for permanent residence in Canada you can apply through the following programs if you meet the requirements.

  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
  • Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

To increase your chances of becoming a permanent resident in Canada, you should obtain a job offer or have a job in Canada. This would help put you in front of other applicants who are also looking to immigrate to Canada permanently.

Share this Post: If you believe that this post may aid someone else, kindly share it by using the buttons above!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.